Monday, February 17, 2014

Cabin Fever

More snow, more cold here in the mid Atlantic.  I like to think of it as healthy stream levels for the coming year. I've spent a lot of time tying, mostly my basic ties for small stream fishing, which is what I like the best and do the most of. I'm expanding my soft hackle arsenal this year. Last year, my main soft hackle representative was a bead head peacock and partridge. It's a nymph, it's an emerger, it might even be a streamer. I'll be tying plenty more of those, but I also got myself some of the classic stuff: Pearsall's silk thread. (Here's a partridge and yellow.)

I tied a batch of Syl's Midge and Starling and Herls too. Of course there are plenty of feathers on a Hungarian Partridge too big for many tradition ties. But I remember catching fat brookies on a north central PA camping trip in 2012 with herl-bodied, partridge-collared wooly bugger. So I made a few and used up some of those oversized feathers. I've never used these flies on anything but eager wild brook trout. I hope I can put them to the test on more fish in a few weeks.
Herl body, partridge collar  wooly bugger, #12

Chenile body, grouse collar, #12

No comments:

Post a Comment