Wednesday, February 26, 2014

Timeline of Adams County soccer since 1922

Based on contemporary newspaper reports.
Here's a direct link to a full-sized version for a closer look.
Beneath the history of the current high school soccer programs in Adams County, PA, there's an older story. I have been researching this history lately with plans of writing a short piece. It's a surprise to some that the sport was even played before recent decades. Adams County is a rural area, little influenced by early 20th century immigration of soccer-playing Europeans. Nonetheless, soccer was for some years the fall sport of choice for all the smaller schools in the county. As I research and write, I thought I would put this working timeline out there in hopes of sparking interest and perhaps leading me to to new information that will correct or refine the information above. Please share and tweet or comment with any ideas or leads. Thanks!

For anyone not familiar with the area, the Arendtsville Vocational school is no more. After 1947, its students went to (relatively) larger Biglerville high. East Berlin and York Springs are now Bermudian Springs. Fairfield also closed after 1947, though it reopened in a few years. It was the closure of Arendtsville and Fairfield and the dropping of soccer in favor of football at Littlestown that brought an end to the brief post-WWII revival of the Adams County Soccer League.

I made a timeline for 1950-present as well, just for perspective. I left league championships off of this one, as this is not the era I'm writing about and they are easy enough to look up. For the record, I believe Gettysburg, Biglerville, and Fairfield all have league titles and that Biglerville has a couple of district titles as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment